As promised, I am posted a recipe that I made not too long ago. And since it’s Autumn, which is Soup Season! I’ll be posting some soup recipes in the upcoming weeks. This season I vow to make and eat new soup recipes. I love trying new foods.
Here is my chicken noodle soup recipe, threeyellowdaisies.ca/2020/06/16/chicken-noodle-soup-4/
French Onion soup is a really easy recipe. What I like about making it, is a lot of ingredients are already on hand. I always have onions and spices it requires.
8-10 small onions, or 6 large ones
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
Salt and pepper
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of thyme
2 teaspoons of basil
2 teaspoons of parsley
2 teaspoons of oregano
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
6 beef bouillon cubes
12 cups of water
1 cup of Sherry (optional)
Gruyere cheese, shredded
1. Slice the onions in circular shapes
2. In large pot, or in your crock pot bring to melt the butter
3. Once melted, add the onions. Make sure your onions caramelized, usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to become a golden brown
4. If you like to cook this in a crock pot, now is the time to transfer everything into your crock pot
5. Once everything has transferred into your crock pot, you can start making the broth
6. By using the same pot you had used to caramelize your onions, you help deglaze your pot, ensuring you have all of the amazing flavours of the spices in your soup.
7. Bring the 12 cups of water to a boil
8. Add all of your spices
9. Once the water is boiled, add your beef bouillons
10. Once dissolved you can transfer the broth to the crock pot
11. You can allow this to cook on low for 8 to 12 hours, or on high for 5 hours, although this is the best soup to slow cook, so I always prefer to slow cook
12. When the soup is ready to be served, you can begin to shred some cheese to place on your baguette. I like to butter the baguette with garlic butter
13. If you have any ovenproof bowls, you can serve your soup in that, and place your baguette on top. Allow it to broil for 3-4 minutes.
14. If you don’t have any ovenproof bowls you can let the baguette broil on a baking sheet. Cut in portions to place on top of the soup.
My crock pot has a setting that lets me sautee and brown my ingredients, so I don’t necessarily have to use another pot to cook my meats, or sautee anything and then transfer everything over into my crock pot.
I am so happy because next time I make this again, I will be able to use my French Onion Soup Bowls that my mama gave me. I am so excited! 🙂